Friday, March 6, 2015

3 Reasons To Choose A Border Collie

There is no doubt, in my mind, that a Border Collie is by far one of the most exciting and rewarding breeds to choose as a life time companion.

This does not mean a Border Collie is for everyone. They do not come without the price of considerable commitment on the human's part.

That being said, and as the proud companion of an incredible Border Collie, let's take a look at my top reasons to choose this breed.



Top 3 Reasons To Choose A Border Collie.


#3- Your Health.


This breed is good for your health. Provided you are ready and able to meet the physical requirements they need. These dogs have no shortage of energy. They are workaholics,  always wanting to be doing something.

This in turn is good for your own health. Ali gets 4 to 6 walks a day, each anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. She also gets several outings for ball time throughout the day. Often times I combine the two by starting or ending our walks at a field to throw the ball. When the weather permits some of those walks are actually bike rides.

I have certainly put thousands upon thousands of kilometers on my feet since adopting Ali. Has she been good for my health? Absolutely!

Border Collie on a hill.

#2 - Your Happiness.


I find it difficult to believe that anyone can spend time around one of these dogs and not feel an overwhelming sense of happiness.

Whether it is from their amazing intelligence, their devoted loyalty or, often times, their goofy personalities.

Teaching Ali something new always makes me happy. I don't know if it is the fact that she learns it so quickly or that she is so happy to do what I ask of her. Most times she knows what I want of her before I ask it. Her eagerness to please knows no limit.

A Border Collie smiling.


Her personality always brings a smile to my face. She is so happy, her energy rubs off on me. Even on the rare occasions when she pouts (yes, these dogs pout like no other dog I have seen) I find myself laughing. Pouting is her way of telling me I have not given her enough attention or that we should currently be doing something that is far more fun than what we are doing.

#1 - Your Understanding Of Friendship.


Make no mistake if you choose this breed and can fulfill all the needs, you will be rewarded with a friendship like no other.

These dogs thrive on interaction with people. They want to be with you at all times, if they can, no matter what it is you are doing. This can lead to issues of destructive behavior and / or separation anxiety when they do have to be left alone. Issues like this can be avoided with proper training and the physical and mental needs of the dog being met.

Ali is kennel trained, which I highly recommend, so the destructive behavior (often out of boredom and done as a signal to the human that the dog needs something to do) issue is eliminated. She whines a bit at first then settles down.

Smiling Border Collie at the park.


I do not scold her for it, I know it is her protesting about not going with me. Again, it is the deep level of companionship that develops with this breed. "Why can't I come Dad??", is what she is saying to me.

Returning home and seeing the excitement and happiness in her eyes is all I need to realize that I have a friend for life, no matter what. That makes this my top reason. A Border Collie will give you a whole new understanding of what friendship, and loyalty, really is.

A Border Collie is not for everyone. Do your research, ask yourself if you can handle the commitment required of these dogs. If your answer is yes, and you are ready, you will not find a more rewarding experience or a better friend than one of these dogs! My opinion of course and it is certainly biased.



Also consider adopting as the sad reality is many people do not know what they are getting into with these dogs. Due to this they are a highly surrendered or abanonded breed. Ali's former home at Ridge Rescue is just one place that can attest to how many of this breed passes through their loving doors.


© Irwin McNeely & Border Collie Corner, 2015. Unauthorized use or duplication of this material without written permission from this blog’s author or owner is strictly prohibited. All pictures are my own & property of Irwin McNeely & Border Collie Corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment